2. (TCO C) A firm buys on terms of 2/8, net 45 days, it does not take discounts, and it actually pays after 58 days. What is the effective annual percentage cost of its nonfree trade credit? (Use a 365-day year.)
5. (TCO G) Chua Chang & Wu Inc. is planning its operations for next year, and the CEO wants you to forecast the firm’s additional funds needed (AFN). The firm is operating at full capacity. Data for use in your forecast are shown below. Based on the AFN equation, what is the AFN for the coming year?
Last year’s sales = S0 $200.000 Last year’s accounts payable $50,000
Sales growth rate = g 40% Last year’s notes payable $15,000
Last year’s total assets = A0* $135,000 Last year’s accruals $20,000
Last year’s profit margin = PM 20% Target payout ratio 25%
5. (TCO G) Based on the corporate valuation model, Bernile Inc.’s value of operations is $750 million. Its balance sheet shows $50 million of short-term investments that are unrelated to operations, $100 million of accounts payable, $100 million of notes payable, $200 million of long-term debt, $40 million of common stock (par plus paid-in-capital), and $160 million of retained earnings. What is the best estimate for the firm’s value of equity, in millions?
2. (TCO F) Which of the following statements is correct? (Points : 5)
a. One advantage of the NPV over the IRR is that NPV takes account of cash flows over a project’s full life, whereas IRR does not.
b. One advantage of the NPV over the IRR is that NPV assumes that cash flows will be reinvested at the WACC, whereas IRR assumes that cash flows are reinvested at the IRR. The NPV assumption is generally more appropriate.
c. One advantage of the NPV over the MIRR method is that NPV takes account of cash flows over a project’s full life, whereas MIRR does not.
c. One advantage of the NPV over the MIRR method is that NPV discounts cash flows, whereas the MIRR is based on undiscounted cash flows.
d. Since cash flows under the IRR and MIRR are both discounted at the same rate (the WACC), these two methods always rank mutually exclusive projects in the same order.
3. (TCO D) Church Inc. is presently enjoying relatively high growth because of a surge in the demand for its new product. Management expects earnings and dividends to grow at a rate of 25% for the next 4 years, after which competition will probably reduce the growth rate in earnings and dividends to zero, i.e., g = 0. The company’s last dividend, D0, was $1.25, its beta is 1.20, the market risk premium is 5.50%, and the risk-free rate is 3.00%. What is the current price of the common stock?