“If counselors rarely reflect on their own values, it is unlikely that they can provide a climate in which clients can examine their values” (Corey, Corey, and Corey, p. 72). Consider one of the below scenarios as described in Chapter 2:
- Sexual identities, attitudes, and behaviors (pp. 82-85)
- Abortion (pp. 85-87)
- Spiritual and religious values (pp. 88-94)
- End-of-life decision-making (pp. 94-100)
Next, ask yourself the following questions:
- What is my position on this issue?
- Where did I develop my views?
- Am I open to being challenged by others?
- Under what circumstances would I disclose my values to my clients? For what reasons?
- To what extent do my actions respect the principle of clients’ self-determination that is consistent with their culture?
In your discussion post, write a general reflection on what your answers revealed to you. Then, describe the steps you would take to avoid harming a client whose values differ from your own on the issue that you chose. Reply to at least two classmates: one who chose the same scenario as you and one who chose a different scenario. In your responses, describe what you found helpful in their posting, as well as any challenges they raised for you. Remember to offer your feedback in the spirit of helping each other’s continued learning and development as social work professionals.
Initial Post Prompt:
Your initial discussion board post should be at least 200-250 words in length.