This is a five paragraph essay. Choose one of the following essay topics and write a five paragraph essay on that topic. All of these topics are based on the songs in Song Lyrics assignment # 8. This rough draft is worth 25 points.
1. Compare and contrast any two or all three of the following songs: “Crazy Love” (song # 1 in the song packet), “I’m a Loser” (song # 7 in the song packet), and “Saturday Night” (song # 9 in the song packet). How are these two songs (or three songs if you choose to look at all three songs) alike and how are they different as far as the themes in the songs? “All of these songs were written by men. “Crazy Love” was written by Rusty Young when he a member of the group, Poco. “I’m a Loser” was written by John Lennon when he was a member of The Beatles. “Saturday Night” was written by Don Henley and Glenn Frey when they were members of The Eagles. Please identify which songs you are writing about in your essay.
2. Compare and contrast the following four songs in relation to the losses that were suffered by different people in these four songs: “Lodi” by John Fogerty when he was a member of the group, Credence Clearwater Revival (song # 2 in the song packet), “For a Dancer” by Jackson Browne (song # 4 in the song packet), “The Dangling Conversation” by Paul Simon when he was part of the folk group, Simon and Garfunkel (song # 6 in the song packet), and “Last Year’s Man” by Leonard Cohen (song # 10 in the song packet). Which people suffered the greatest losses, in your opinion? You may examine the losses suffered by people in two of the songs, you may choose to look at the losses suffered by three of the songwriters, or you may choose to look at the losses suffered by people in all four of these songs. Please identify which s the song packetongs you are analyzing.
3. Compare and contrast the theology (the religious beliefs) of the two songwriters, Jackson Browne and Leonard Cohen, as their beliefs can be seen in their two songs. The first song is called “For a Dancer” and it was written by Jackson Browne. This is song # 4 in the song packet. The second song is called “Last Year’s Man” and it was written by Leonard Cohen. It is song # 10 in the song packet. How are their religious beliefs alike and how are they different, as can be seen in the lyrics in these two songs? Which of the two songs can you identify with more, based on the religious beliefs you have right now? In other words, which type of spirituality can you relate to better?
This is a five paragraph essay. Both the rough draft and the final draft of this essay must be typed and double spaced. The rough draft is worth 25 points. Every paragraph must have at least six sentences in it. Also, the thesis statement should be the last sentence in your first paragraph (your introduction). The first sentence in this paragraph should be a hook that will grab the reader’s attention. The conclusion (the fifth paragraph) should also contain your thesis statement, either as a restatement of the thesis statement in your first paragraph or as a paraphrase of it. Since you are comparing and contrasting, these are a list of transition words you should be using in your essay. For comparison, you should use some of these transition words: (just) as, (just) like, alike, same, both, equally, resemble, likewise, in like fashion, in like manner, (in) the same way, and (in) common. For contrast, you should use some of these words: but, yet, however, although, nevertheless, still, instead (of), in contrast, on the other hand, on the contrary, converse(ly), opposite, even though, as opposed to, in spite of, despite, rather than , difference, different(ly), differ from, unlike, and while. Use the following transition words in these locations in your essay:
1. Begin the second paragraph with the word “First.”
2. Start the third paragraph with the word “Second.”
3. The fourth paragraph should begin with the word “Finally.”
4. The fifth paragraph should start with the words “In conclusion.”
I do not want you to use the phrase “in my opinion” in this essay. You should only use the following pronouns if you are answering question # 3 (the third topic I have given you from which to choose) and then only for the last parts of this question/topic: “I”, “me”, “my”, “mine” , and “myself”. If you answer either one of the other questions (#’s 1 or 2 from the selection of essay topics), please do not use any of the aforementioned pronouns. Keep this in mind: all of these essay topics are asking you to both compare and contrast. You can do both of these things in the same paragraphs. This would include your second, third, and fourth paragraphs. In addition, you need a title for this essay, and in this title, you should identify which songs you are comparing and contrasting.