Some studies indicate the best approach for transformational change may have the chief executive officer create an atmosphere for change and establish a reward system but let others decide how to initiate change but carefully set limits for the program and begin establishing a vision
Which of the following statements is true with regard to the effectiveness of tactics?
· The combination of a soft tactic with reasonable persuasion is more effective than a combination of two hard tactics.
· Soft tactics are less effective than hard tactics when used individually
· Individuals from collectivist cultures are typically more likely to use soft tactics that reflect personal power.
· All tactics are equally effective with regard to upward influence.
Sam Meyers manages a telemarketing call center. He has 20 employees working for him who are displeased with the way he yells and threatens to terminate them for what they see as small issues. Which kind of power is Sam using to get the job done?
· Reward power
· Legitimate power
· Coercive power
· Referent power
Training that results in ______ is costly because of the cost of training (which proved to be useless) and the cost of hampered performance.
· reinforcement of training
· applicability of training
· negative transfer of training
· simulation of training
Deming’s PDCA (plan, do, check, and act) cycle underlies what inherent Six Sigma principle?
· Continuous improvement
· Standard deviation
· Project management
· Control charting
Which of the following is an element that addresses elimination of waste under lean production?
· Minimized run times
· Production ahead of demand
· Group plant loading technology
· Kanban production control system
Conflicts can be resolved by withdrawing from them or suppressing them. This conflict-management technique is known as ________.
Which of the following is a desirable strategy for managers aiming to reduce the negative consequences of rumors?
· Refusing to comment on issues that appear to be controversial and unfair
· Creating a more informal communication environment at the workplace
· Initiating disciplinary action against the employee who started the rumor
· Encouraging employees to communicate their concerns and suggestions
A project can be segmented into which of the following?
· Success markers
· Work packages
Because practical considerations make job tryouts for all candidates infeasible, it is necessary to __________ the relative level of job performance for each candidate on the basis of available information.
Which of the following is one of Dr. Eli Goldratt’s rules of production scheduling for optimized production technology?
· Do not allow bottlenecks to govern the flow of the line.
· An hour saved at a bottleneck operation does not increase the process flow.
· If you lose an hour at a bottleneck it is better than making scrap.
· Utilization and activation of a resource are not the same
When an employee volunteers to run a canned food drive, this is an example of
· job satisfaction
· organizational citizenship behavior
· employee happiness
· employee productivity
In order to make their firm a learning organization, managers should
· reinforce interdependence and reduce boundaries
· avoid the use of cross-functional teams
· increase the degree of departmentalization
· penalize mistakes
The concept that some leadership attributes will work in some situations but not in others can be described by the
· behavioral theory
· contingency theory
· tactical theory
· leadership effectiveness theory
In _____, workers have been fired for refusing to quit smoking, for living with someone without being married, drinking a competitor’s product, motorcycling, and other legal activities outside of work.
· lifestyle discrimination
· invasion of privacy
· constructive discharge
According to the job characteristics model, autonomy is defined as the degree to which
· a job provides the worker freedom, independence, and discretion
· a job has an impact on the lives or work of other people
· a job generates direct and clear information about performance
· a job requires completion of a whole and identifiable piece of work
In performing a SWOT analysis, which of the following would be considered as a threat?
· Increased product demand
· Recognized brand
· Lack of a strategic plan
As a university student, your institution’s social principles and practices reflect on you, as a stakeholder, in the organization. Therefore, it is your right to question how these practices should be evaluated in relation to the social issues that the school is addressing. If your university provides job-share programs, builds a day-care facility, and only uses recycled paper, it could be said to be ________.
· socially image conscious
· fulfilling its social obligation
· socially aware
· socially responsive
Which of the following is ISO 14000 primarily concerned with?
· Continuous improvement management
· Time management
· Quality management
· Environmental management
During the implementation of a project, which of the following should be the primary focus of a consulting firm?
· The correct project software
· People management skills
· Tools and materials availability
· Application of the learning curve theory
What can affirmative action assist organizations in achieving that diversity initiatives cannot?
· Correcting specific problems of the past
· Increased productivity
· Maximizing creativity
· Maximizing workforce commitment
The Civil Rights Act of 1991 offered what for victims of unintentional discrimination?
· affirmative action
· adverse impact
· race norming
· monetary damages and jury trials
Adoration of a charismatic leader by followers can lead to
· greater understanding of the company mission
· difficulty in developing a successor
· a competitive work environment
· limiting suggestions of fixes and improvements
An example of control criteria that can be used in any situation is ________.
· number of calls taken per day
· client requests completed per hour
· employee satisfaction
· average time to process paperwork.
Mary arrives at her new job. Before she can begin actually doing the work, she must complete a series of activities including role playing and virtual reality interactions. What type of training method does Mary’s new employer use?
· Information presentation
· On-the-job training
· Organizational development