- Read this article listed in the Learning Resources: Turner, K., & Lehning, A. J. (2007). Psychological theories of poverty. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 16(1–2), 57–72. https://doi.org/10.1300/J137v16n01_05
- Select a theory under the individual-related theories and a theory under the structural/cultural-related theories.
- Complete the handout “Comparing Individual-Related and Structural/Cultural-Related Theories” to help you craft your response. (Note: You do not need to upload the handout to the Discussion forum. The handout is intended to assist you in writing your Discussion post.)
By Day 3
Post a response to the following:
- Describe how a social worker would conceptualize a presenting problem related to structural issues or barriers that contribute to a client’s marginalization using the two theories you selected.
- Explain how this conceptualization differs from an individual-related versus a structural/cultural-related theoretical lens.
- Compare how the two theoretical lenses differ in terms of how the social worker would approach the client and the problem and how the social worker would intervene.
By Day 5
Respond to at least two colleagues:
- Identify one strength and one limitation your colleague may encounter when employing an individual-related theory and a structural/cultural-related theory to formulating interventions for structural issues or barriers that contribute to a client’s marginalization.